Friday, October 11, 2013

Ruined Lagoon (Environment for Games)

This is an environment I wanted to create in UDK for my Environment class and to practice creating levels in engine, this was my first fully created level and fully implemented into a game engine. It was a long process, but the results were worth it!

I chose to base it on this concept:
(Thanks Tan for this amazing piece!)

And here are some of the assets I created, all of which I tried to make modular as possible to be used to expand the environment to a bigger scale (all snap to grid and connect):



Ivy I made using leaves I modeled than baked down onto cards, all alpha based
and it is around 250 tris:
I made a few of these broken "caps" to be put over other geo, to give the illusion of
broken up topology. It worked out well in the end (using an alpha)
Rock/Ground base used it a lot in the map, even used it for the bigger rocks
that surround the lagoon:

And a tree I made in the same way as my Ivy. Made a bunch of leaves, connected them
to branches and baked them all down onto cards. Colored each leaf in PS, the final
result came out really well I think! 



Thanks for looking! I'll post the entire level from UDK in a bit!
Everything was created with: Maya, Zbrush, xNormal, Mudbox, Mari, Photoshop and rendered here in Marmoset and finally arranged in Unreal Engine.